Pidgin does a great job of connecting all the chat & IM protocols together, and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux (yeah!), plus it’s open-source and free! Its interface is dead-simple, but sometimes its setup can be confusing for beginners.
If you have a custom email domain for your gmail account, setting up to use Google Talk through Pidgin needs a couple extra tweaks to the settings. Follow these easy steps to get started.
- Select the GTalk protocol (or XMPP)
- Username is your custom gmail user name; everything before the “@” mark.
- Domain is your custom domain; everything after the “@” mark in your email.
- Password is your email password.
- Select “old-style SSL” in the Connection security drop-down menu.
- Connection port should be set to “5223”.
- Connect Server is Google’s server, so “talk.google.com”.
You should now be able to connect to Google’s chat server using your custom domain used with your email.